about the OpenPGP Card

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 18 15:58:02 CEST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:01, p.tucci at gmail.com said:

>> Mozilla uses pkcs#11 as its crypto API thus you need such a driver.
>
> This is absolutely uncorrect.

PKCS#11 is the native crypto API of Mozilla.  But that is irrelevant
because you do not use it ...

> I do NOT need mozilla crypto api, i do not need the entire pkcs#11
> layer since my driver rawly communicates via the T=1 protocol with the
> card (thanks to Sun's Java low level APIs).

.. sure.

>> Should also work with other browsers but not tested.  Windows port is
>> under way.
>
> Internet explorer does not use the standard PKCS11 layer... it uses a
> more sofisticated layer (CSP).

"Windows port" does not necessary mean "for Internet Exploder".

> But we're in the 2008 and the i suppose the probability to find a Java
> installation in a PC is realistically high (and absolutely higher than
> the probability to find a pkcs11 layer + gpg agent + pkcs11 correctly
> installed )

Depends on whom you ask.  Those people using the OpenPGP card are
probably a bit more security aware than the average Windows user.  In
fact, many security policies of companies and public administrations do
not allow the use of Java on client machines.

Salam-Shalom,