gpg under wine?

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Jul 21 10:57:31 CEST 2008

At Sun, 20 Jul 2008 20:37:22 -0300,
Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman <buanzo at buanzo.com.ar> wrote:

> Hi, I'm attempting to run gpg4win under Wine, but I get this:
>
> buanzo at murray:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/GNU/GnuPG$ wine gpg.exe --gen-key
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.7; Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.
>
> gpg: fatal: WriteConsole failed: Access denied
> secmem usage: 0/0 bytes in 0/0 blocks of pool 0/32768
>
> Any ideas? I'm on Kubuntu Linux, up-to-date, nothing from source. It's gpg4win 1.1.3.

Please use wineconsole.  Some gpg operations like gen-key really want
to talk to the console directly for increased security (for example to
prevent the passphrase from appearing on the screen).  So, you should
use wineconsole instead of wine, which will launch a windows console
that implements those additional features.

There are also operation modes in gpg that don't require a console,
but those are harder to use and do not provide the interactivity you
get with --gen-key.

Thanks,
Marcus