sendings passwords with gpg-agent? (was Re: gnupg1 still needed?)

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jul 22 01:21:20 CEST 2008

At Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:43:25 -0400 (EDT),
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > I am not aware of such an option with gpg2, but note that you will
> > never get it in all circumstances.  Consider smart cards used on a
> > terminal with a number pad.  In this case, you really do not want the
> > pin number to go through the application.
>
> Being able to decrypt and sign in scripts is pretty important.  If gpg2
> can't do that, people will use gpg1 whether you approve or not.

gpg2 can do that.  Off the cuff, I can think of about 3-5 ways to do
it.  The best method depends on your environment and security needs.
Just to give you a hint, check out the various passphrase related
command line options, the GPGME test suite in SVN, and the
gpg-preset-passphrase tool.

There is nothing wrong with using gpg1.  We approve fully.

Thanks,
Marcus