gpgme: check_version() MUST be called, but examples miss it

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Mar 5 10:20:32 CET 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 08:25, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue,  4 Mar 2008 22:54, bernhard at intevation.de said:
> > I strongly recommend to add it to shorter examples as well as some
> > (experienced) programmers will look at the examples first and might miss
>
> These are example code snippets and clearly not complete applications.
> Note that even the inclusion of header files is left out.

Yes, I know and I have noticed ...

> > the requirement to use check_version().
> > It could be done using a pseudo-function like
> >       MY_GPGME_INIT()
>
> That is not sufficient.  A whole chapter describes the required
> preparations and the developer MUST read this chapter to use gpgme.
> There are even more severe pitfalls than leaving out the version check.

I believe a reminder line could be instructive for the example -
at last for the longer ones. For the IO Example which has a main() funcation,
I believe not having it in there is a serious problem.

In pyme, which was certainly done by a caring developer,
the examples all miss the version check.

Bernhard