[BUG] gpg has problems decrypting HTML email

David Bryson david at statichacks.org
Mon Nov 10 19:47:45 CET 2008

Hi all,

I have been having problems with GPG decrypting mail from various
coworkers for a while, and only recently did I manage to get some insite
into it.

The other systems are all using: Outlook, PGP Desktop, sending mail
through Exchange.

I am using mutt and gnupg.

Today I received an email, attempted to decrypt and receiving the
following error:

gpg: invalid radix64 character 3A skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 28 skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 29 skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=55)
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

I sent the other party a message saying that the encrypted email failed
to decrypt.  So the other party resent the message, formatted with text
rather than html and I got the following output:

Invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped

gpg: encrypted with 3072-bit ELG key, ID 23272056, created 1999-10-22
<Key information>
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
<signature information>
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=37)
gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=61)

But a successful decryption and I was able to read the text. Any idea
what the problem is or could be ?

Dave