Unicode filename support on Windows

Robert Vanyi robert.vanyi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 15:14:24 CEST 2008

Hi,

I was trying to use a Japanese (UTF-16) filename on an English Windows
Server 2008, but I got the following error:

C:\>gpg -e テスト.txt
gpg: can't open `???.txt': No error
gpg: ???.txt: encryption failed: file open error

The Japanese string in the filename contains three characters:
katakana TE (U+30C6)
katakana SU (U+30B9)
katakana TO (U+30C8)
from this page: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%86%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88

I'm using GnuPG 1.4.7:

C:\>gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.7

Is there a newer version with support for Unicode filenames, or are
there any plans to support them on Windows platforms?

As far as I know, command-line parameters are converted to UTF-16 on
Windows, and then, if the application does not provide a wmain
function, only a main function, the parameters are converted to the
local codepage. This would explain, why I have seen question marks in
place of each Japanese character.

Thanks,
Robert