Problem building GnuPG 2.0.9 for Windows

Bill Foster bfoster at clearwire.net
Fri Oct 3 07:13:25 CEST 2008

Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu,  2 Oct 2008 16:59, bfoster at clearwire.net said:
>

>> I replaced each occurrence of '/home/bill' with '~' in my post, merely
>> for brevity's sake. And I now regret doing so.
>>

> Okay.
>
> I have basically the same setup as you, though I am using Sid but I used
> sveeral older version as well.  MY guess is that the linker finds a
> different version libz.  To check this you should add the option
>   -Wl,--verbose
> to the CFLAGS or just run the last command with that additional option.
> This shows how symbols are resolved.
>

> Salam-Shalom,
>
>    Werner

I did as you suggested, by adding the two new CFLAGS options to the
'makefile',
and also by executing the last command to compile straight from a console.
Unfortunately, neither one showed anything new or unexpected.

I've decided to try another Debian version, perhaps Etch (4.0r4a), and
see if I have
better luck there.

Two questions. When you build the zlib library, do you use the
cross-compiler, or
do you use the native Linux compiler? I've tried them both, but, of
course, neither
one gave me a library file that GPG 2.0.9 could use.
And when you build the zlib library, is the file 'libz.a' the only file
that you will be
using, other than the two header files, zlib.h and zconf.h?

Thanks again, Mr. Koch.

-Bill Foster