No Hidden-Recipient support in GPGME?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Sep 2 15:29:07 CEST 2008

On Sep 2, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Monday 01 September 2008 16:35, David Shaw wrote:
>>> To me understanding, using a blind carbon copy on emails requires
>>> the email application to send out several versions of the email:
>>> 1) encrypted to all visible recipients
>>> n invisible recipients*) encrypted to all visible recipients and one
>>> out of n
>>> invisible.
>>
>> Exactly.  This can be difficult for those mail programs that allow
>> the
>> MTA to handle all addressing, since it involves sending a message to
>> user "b" (an encrypted + hidden user), but with "a" (an unencrypted
>> users) in the To: list.
>
> Are there settings where this is common?
> Usually the MTA would act on the envelope, not the data which includes
> the visible "To:".

It's becoming less common over the years as programs have either a
SMTP stub to talk to a smarthost, or at least call command line
programs with some more finesse, but many programs did the equivalent
of passing a whole message to "sendmail -t" and letting sendmail work
out the details.  That's fine in most cases, but would be a problem
here.

David