Problem with key directory on Linux "vfat"

Ulrich Windl ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Jan 9 14:10:53 CET 2009

Hello,

I just found this problem in openSUSE 11.0: When the GnuPG key directory is on a
fvat filesystem (e.g. a memory stick), there are some warnings (German locale) in
Linux:

gpg: WARNUNG: Unsicheres Besitzverhältnis des Home-Verzeichnis `.gnupg'
gpg: lock not made: link() failed: Die Operation ist nicht erlaubt
gpg: can't lock `.gnupg/pubring.gpg'
gpg: DBG: oops, `.gnupg/pubring.gpg.lock' is not locked
gpg: Schlüsselblockhilfsmittel`.gnupg/pubring.gpg': Allgemeiner Fehler
gpg: Unterschrift vom Do 08 Jan 2009 18:23:55 CET mittels RSA-Schlüssel ID
3DBDC284

So it seems GnuPG does locking by linking. AFAIK links are not available on vfat
filesystems. I don't know a good solution, but I thought I'd let you know.

Maybe open(..., O_CREAT|O_EXCL|...) could be used for an atomic (from the local
OS) lock. Maybe simple advisory locks would also do. I don't know.

Regards,
Ulrich