Differences: OpenPGP vs. X.509

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jan 14 15:30:24 CET 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:36, stefanxe at gmx.net said:

> Also I came to this question by having a X.509 smart card which I would
> like to use with OpenPGP/gnupg. Is there any practical tool to convert
> the key parameters in such case?

That uis not possible.  gpg does only support the OpenPGP card - adding
support for arbitrary cards is a too complicated and does not make much
sense to me.  The other way around it works nicely: You can use an
OpenPGP card for X.509; in particular for an TLS user certificate.  see
www.scute.org.

> Also I saw that GnuPG 2 is able to use X.509 but to which extend and
> does it allow any interoperability between both formats?

For Secure Shell (OpenPGP, Belpic, some other pkcs#15 cards and soon
Netkey 3.).  Also of course for S/MIME.

Salam-Shalom,