Differences: OpenPGP vs. X.509

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 15 19:18:53 CET 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:54, stefanxe at gmx.net said:

> distribution of encryption-usage overall. Thus I am wondering if there
> are any efforts to synchronize or unite both formats? If not, which

No, it does not make any sense.

> strategies/options may be appropriate to go in this way (e.g. embed one
> format into the other, using the same key parameters etc.)?

This problem needs to be solved at the MUA level.  That is, if you are
going to send a message to someone or to a group of people, it should be
send out using the protocol for which you have keys for most of the
recipients and the MUA may then send out the same message encrypted for
the other set of recipients, using the other protocol.  (This resembles
BCC processing).

Shalom-Salam,