Mac stuff!

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 19:52:36 CET 2009

I currently maintain the binary Mac distribution of GnuPG v2, MacGPG2.

Firstly, would there be any problems changing the identifying string
for GnuPG as follows:

Instead of:

$ gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.10
libgcrypt 1.4.3
[...]

It would be:
$ gpg2 --version
gpg (MacGPG2) 2.0.10
libgcrypt 1.4.3
[...]

or even:
$ gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG by MacGPG2) 2.0.10
libgcrypt 1.4.3
[...]

Many of our support enquiries arise from non-MacGPG2 installs and this
would make my life so much easier!

The other thing is one of my users is having problems with the native
Mac pinentry program.  One theory I have is that it's not dealing with
character encoding properly - am I right in thinking that everything
should be passed to it in UTF-8?  The source code is on my devel box
at home - I'll have a look when I get in...

However, he's also reporting problems with the curses pinentry program
and I'm almost completely stumped.

Ben