Strange Key ID problem. : subkey id is reported where primary key id should be reported as missing?

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Mon Jun 29 09:59:30 CEST 2009

Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:56, chiaki.ishikawa at ubin.jp said:
>> (After writing this summary, I now think it is a bug, but am not sure
> Yes it is a bug.  But not in GnupG but in the keyserver software.
>
>> So I tried to obtain the key using gpg with arguments such as
>> --keyserver pgp.mit.edu -recv-keys 17785FE8
>> --keyserver pgp.nic.ad.jp -recv-keys 17785FE8
>> to no avail.
>
> Both keyservers run old and non-OpenPGP compatible software - Do not use
> them.
>
> I tried this too (using gpg2 but that doesn't matter)
<snip>

> So everything is fine.  The key was taken from one of the SKS keyservers
> to which keys.gnupg.net resolve.  If you now look at the key:

<snip>

The key shows correctly on the SKS servers:
http://keyserver.gingerbear.net/pks/lookup?search=0x17785FE8&fingerprint=on&op=vindex

> We do have this problem for years now and at least the admins of
> pgp.mit.edu don't care about it and keep on running this broken
> software.

And we keep on giving the same advice over and over not to use this and
other broken PKS servers.

> I am now considering whether we should detect
>   Server: pks_www/0.9.6
> and reject this one as entirely broken.  Maybe just a warning if
> --expert is used.

No complaints here. Maybe it would push the PKS admins to upgrade.
I doubt anyone is interested in making the PKS code RFC compliant.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or