Caching symmetric encryption passphrase with gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Mar 6 11:04:20 CET 2009

On Fri,  6 Mar 2009 10:24, ueno at unixuser.org said:

> Perhaps this is a stupid idea, but let me propose a proof of concept.
> The attached is a patch which (partially) enables passphrase caching
> even if symmetric encryption is used.  It diverts the S2K salt to the
> identity of the encrypted data.  Here is the sample session:

Using the salt as a cache id is a clever idea.  That allows to decrypt a
message during the caching time without entering the passphrase again.
I am not sure whether there is a use case for this.

Reusing the salt for another message defeats the purpose of the salt and
thus makes no sense.

Shalom-Salam,