blacklisting MD5 in gpg

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu May 7 19:28:27 CEST 2009

On Thu,  7 May 2009 19:09, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> really?  it works for me on a debian testing system:

Ooops.  I don't know my own code anymore :-(.  Before parsing --version
on the command line all the other options are processed as usual and
then the algorithm list building function can make use of them.  I
thought that version would be processed by the first pass of the option
parser which looks for things like --option and --homedir before parsing
the option file.  I missed that I once ...

  Wed Jun 10 07:39:41 1998  Werner Koch,mobil,,,	(wk at tobold)

	* fileutil.c (compare_filenames): New.

	* argparse.c (arg_parse): New flag bit 6 to ignore --version

... introduced a flag to suppress exactly that.

Please forget about my comment.  We can for sure put brackets around
blacklisted algos.

> what about including it in the output of --list-config?  (personally,
> i'd like to see it in both --list-config and --version)

Can be done.  However, gpgconf is the modern tool to ask for
configuration settings.  We have just not implemented the more exotic
options like --disable-algo and --personal-foo-prefs.  The latter seems
to be important, though.

Salam-Shalom,