Omnikey readers and 2048 bit keys

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon May 11 19:38:34 CEST 2009

Hi!

While testing the new 2048 bit smartcards I figured that all Omnikey
based readers (e.g. CardMan, Cherry keyboards) won't work.  SCM readers
work just fine.  See

  http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid_extended_apdu.html

for details.  The interesting thing is that they seem to work on Windows
(at least Cardman 3121 and 5121): This seems to be due to tricks in the
Windows driver.  I guess they are switching the reader to TPDU mode or
some raw mode.  Simply trying to use extended length APDU exchange does
not work.

I started to do a protocol analysis of the CCID data send over USB but
due to problems with Windows XP's resource manager when running under
KVM, I have postponed it for now.  If you want to work on it, there is a
little tool in GnuPG's SVN: tools/ccidmon.c to prins the CCID protocol
data in an easy readable format.

Shalom-Salam,