GPG User ID Comments and RFC 5322

Philippe Cerfon philcerf at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 15:54:08 CEST 2009

Hi again.

Some days ago I was reading RFC 5322 which will probably become the
new standard for internet mail.

In sections 3.4 and 3.4.1 it says:

>Also, because some legacy
>implementations interpret the comment, comments generally SHOULD
>NOT be used in address fields to avoid confusing such
>implementations.

and

>Comments and folding white space
>SHOULD NOT be used around the "@" in the addr-spec.

As far as I can see this is what gnupg does when users set a Comment
when they create their key. It has the same format: "(" phrase ")"

Also the RFC means these comments (as far as I understand) more as
real comments as you know them from C/C++,.. that are totally ignored
by the clients/programs, while gpg does (of course) not ignore them
but also interpret them more as and additional note to the name e.g.:
Charles de Gaulle (président) <there.were at no.emails>
in contrast to
Charles de Gaulle (teacher) <cdg at someschool.com>

Just wanted you to know this, that you can react if you think this
should be done.

Cheers,
Philppe