GnuPG package: UDEV rule for smart card reader

Crypto Stick cryptostick at privacyfoundation.de
Sun Aug 1 17:02:12 CEST 2010

Hi!
We developed the Crypto Stick which is an USB smart card reader stick
containing the OpenPGP Card.

For instance to use GnuPG on Ubuntu directly with the Crypto Stick the
user needs to run gnupg as root to be able to access the stick's usb
device node under /dev/bus/usb. As a workaround we supply the following
udev rule. It gives underprivileged users permissions to access the
device node:

ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="4107",
ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER}="1", ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER_DRIVER}="gnupg"

I understand that the already available UDEV rules of the gnupg package
on Ubuntu are not part of the "vanilla" GnuPG but added by package
maintainer.

To achieve out-of-the box support, so that users do not need to install
additional software or modify configuration, I would like to know how to
get the appropriate configuration (e.g. UDEV rule) into GnuPG packages
of diverse distributions?

Instead of writing ot every package maintainer separately I hope this
mailing list is the right audience.

Cheers
Jan