Q: Why doesn't --pgp2 warn you if you don't have IDEA

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Aug 11 03:56:10 CEST 2010

On 8/10/2010 7:43 PM, smu johnson wrote:
> My first post to this mailing list!

Welcome!  This question *might* be better served for GnuPG-Users, BTW:
it seems like the answer would be something general users would be
interested in.  Not that it's off-topic here or anything.  :)

> Well, I was playing around with GnuPG and PGP 2.6.x today, and I'm
> curious as to why the option --pgp2 doesn't warn you if you do not have
> the IDEA algorithm setup for GnuPG.

Possibly.  I am not a developer and do not claim to speak for them.  I
would speculate that RFC1991 conformance (PGP 2.6 compatibility) is such
a low priority for them that they haven't bothered to do much with it.

Speaking just for myself, given the choice between spending time on
RFC4880 and RFC1991, I would much prefer 4880.  :)