AGP on Android

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Aug 17 02:06:44 CEST 2010

> I think you're really jumping the gun here.  If we can get even geeks to
> use OpenPGP on their fancy phones we'll be doing well.

Network effects.  Imagine there's a cool little communications app that only works on the Palm Pre.  Nobody cares, because the Pre occupies such a tiny fragment of the market space.  (Or, for the real world, Skype on the desktop is a very hot piece of technology: Skype on Droid, nobody cares.  As cool as the Droid is, it's a tiny fragment, etc., etc.)  By comparison, just dialing a number and talking to someone, regardless of what carrier they're on — that's very cool and people pay good money for it.  The size of the base of users with whom you can communicate contributes in a very big way to the overall usefulness of the application.

This is all getting very far afield of the original question, though, which was whether it was possible to port GnuPG to Android.  If we want to discuss this further, let's take it to -users and leave the -devel list for its intended purpose: low-volume talk about stuff directly related to GnuPG development.