key lookup strategies

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Dec 2 12:32:47 CET 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:23, ans at immerda.ch said:

> You might easily end up using the wrong key if you are not particularly
> careful. (or if you are using another tool to talk to gpg, which does

That is why all serious tools using gpg run a key listing first to check
whether there are multiple matches for a key and in that case present a
selection dialog.  It is not GPG's task to do that; you are not forced
to use a substring search: it is just an option.  You may use a complete
email and then you will get a key matching this email and that key
should be usable for the task.

We may eventually add a warning that multiple keys match but we can't
can't add another prompt to select between these.

Shalom-Salam,