gnupg2 packaging, how to start gnupg-agent in X11 (Re: key generation failed on card)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jan 13 11:18:57 CET 2010

Am Sonntag, 3. Januar 2010 03:44:23 schrieb Stefan Xenon:
> I found the cause for this problem by myself: gpg-agent was not running.
> As mentioned before it seems that I have to start gpg-agent manually
> each time.

If you were logged in via an X11 session, this sounds like an Ubuntu
packaging issue.

> Therefore I use the following solution:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/gpg-gpg-agent-cant
>-connect-to-root.gnupgs.gpg-agent-611843/

We (as in Kolab-Konsortium) use the following solution for Debian packages
(which we also submit upstream):

Maintainer: Kolab-Konsortium Packager <packaging at kolab-konsortium.de>
Source: gnupg2
Version: 2.0.13-0kk1

dpkg -L gnupg-agent | grep session
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent

Our packages (no promisses) can be found here:
http://files.kolab.org/apt/releases/dists/lenny/
For development purposes we also run a continous build system for some
gnupg packages at http://saegewerk.wald.intevation.org/gnugp2-etch/index.html

> Am 31.12.2009 20:29, schrieb Stefan Xenon:
> > I compiled GnuPG 2.0.14 on Ubuntu 9.10 (using libgcrypt 1.4.4). When
> > generating a key on an OpenPGP card v2 it fails right after entering
> > "generate" and tells me "IPC Schreibfehler" (IPC write error).

::::::::::::::
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
::::::::::::::
: ${GNUPGHOME=$HOME/.gnupg}

GPGAGENT=/usr/bin/gpg-agent
PID_FILE="$GNUPGHOME/gpg-agent-info-$(hostname)"

if test -x $GPGAGENT &&
   { test -z "$GPG_AGENT_INFO" || ! $GPGAGENT 2>/dev/null; }; then

   if [ -r "$PID_FILE" ]; then
       . "$PID_FILE"
   fi

   # Invoking gpg-agent with no arguments exits successfully if the agent
   # is already running as pointed by $GPG_AGENT_INFO
   if ! $GPGAGENT 2>/dev/null; then
       STARTUP="$GPGAGENT --daemon --sh --write-env-file=$PID_FILE $STARTUP"
   fi
fi
-: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden