gpgme: downloading a key from a keyserver

Jerome Charaoui jerome at riseup.net
Wed Jul 21 23:21:09 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'd like to use GPGME to download a specific key from a keyserver
identified by a fingerprint. I'd like to do this as a discrete
operation, not as part of signing a key or encrypting a message.

The reason I'd like to do this is to be able to examine the details of a
public key (name, email, etc.) before adding it to the keyring and
actually doing stuff with it.

I'm aware of the LOCAL|EXTERN modes which use the --locate-keys of
GnuPG, but according to the manual and my experience, the "external"
part only kicks in when signing or encrypting.

Thanks,

-- Jerome