[Gpg4win-devel] X509 Root certificates and trusting them

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jun 29 11:23:38 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, 21. Mai 2010 12:03:22 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> The recommended way for a
> production X509 /CMS system is that a list of trusted X509 root
> certificates is maintained by the administrator of the system
> directly for dirmngr and possibly the global gpgsm.

For gpgsm to be able to use certificates,
you need to have the full validated chain of certificates.

Especially for the root certificate, the person administrating
the machines (e.g. you) must ensure three conditions are given.
(Paths examples for GNU systems,
the paths will be different for Mac OS or Windows.)

a) You need to have the root certificate and be sure that the fil is
   the root certificate you would like to trust. You need to do this
   best at installation time - as in the heat of the moment users will
   go along with everthing just to get the task done.

b) Make sure dirmngr trusts the root certificate.
   info dirmngr Installation
   konqueror info:/dirmngr/Installation
   http://gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/dirmngr/Installation.html

   In short, recommended is to put it as .der file
   in /etc/dirmngr/trusted-certs and restart the dirmngr service.

   Live might be easier if users have "prefer-system-dirmngr" in their local
   gpgsm.conf (Usually ~/.gnupg/gpgsm.conf).

c) Make sure gpg-agent trusts the root certificate
   Recommended way is to do this system wide:
   c.1) Place the right line in /etc/gnupg/trustlist.txt