Key capabilities missing in private key list

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue May 25 20:06:21 CEST 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010 15:35, dpd at opsol.com.au said:

> I am building an application that interfaces with gnupg using the gpgme
> library. I need to get a list of all keys in the key chain that are
> capable of signing some data. When I obtain the private key list is
> reports all keys as having no capabilities. I traced this down to some

That is due to the way gpg works.  It is unlikely that we will change it
in the stable branches because the development version has been changed
to drop the duplication of a lot of code in regard to working with the
secring and the pubring.  This will automagically fix your issue.

The workaround is to list the corresponding public key.  I know that
this is not very elegant but most key managers do it this way.

Salam-Shalom,