Exporting secret keys now works for 2.1 (was: The last 9 months ...)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Oct 1 22:40:40 CEST 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:32, wk at gnupg.org said:

> This part is not finished; for example I am currently working on the
> OpenPGP export command and I also need to make some changes for

Exporting secret keys is now basically implemented.  Missing stuff:

  * v3 keys are not supported.  I am not sure whether it makes sense to
    add the code for these legacy keys.  You may import them to
    gpg-agent, though.

  * Keys may only be exported in a protected form.  A passphrase must be
    given for each key.

  * Passphrases are not yet cached between subkeys.

  * Stats are not correct

  * Smartcard stubs are not well tested.

We need to do more tests but real adventurers may want to try the new
system (SVN trunk).  Use TEST KEYS !  The file agent/keyformat.txt has a
short description of the secret key exchange format used between gpg and
gpg-agent.  We also use an additional key wrapping layer with the
agent's export and import commands; it adds no security at the moment,
though.

Salam-Shalom,