Creating a subkey from an existing key

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Dec 15 01:36:26 CET 2011

On Nov 7, 2011, at 5:39 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On 11/07/2011 03:55 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
>> GPGSM has a way to create a self-signed certificate or a certificate
>> signing requests using an existing key.  This feature was missing from
>> GPG, thus I added it.
>
> Thank you for this, Werner!  This is a great feature to have available.
> I hope to test it out soon.

I'll add my bit in now that I have a better sense of what I'm doing with gpg.  This will definitely be useful in making integrating OTR keys into OpenPGP keys much more flexible.  WIthout this, the only option seems to be to generate a DSA subkey in gpg, then export that for use in OTR.  If someone has a well established DSA key for OTR that they want to include into their OpenPGP, this should be now possible using this new functionality.

Thanks!

.hc