OpenPGP card specification: Data Object of 0x7f21 ("CERT-3")

Achim Pietig achim at pietig.com
Wed Dec 21 09:46:29 CET 2011

Hi,

data length of 2048 and more are still common in actual smart cards.
E. g. the next german health card (eGK v2) comming in 2012 has a requirement of
2048 bytes for sending and 64K for receiving in a single command.
Most actual card readers under PC/SC (e. G. SCR 3310/335) have no problems with these data length.

If the ccid-driver and the pcsc-wrapper have still such limitations, there is a need to extend them soon!

The next version of the OpenPGP card will support even more certificates with these length.
I have several requests for even bigger storage, if the I/O buffer of the card hardware is not able to support it,
command chaining can be used, maybe I will support this in the next version also.
The content of a certificate DO is not limited to X.509, it is possible to store CV-certificates and proprietary formats as well,
it depends on the application.

I will not support transparent EFs, it's a pre-historic technic ;)
Next version of ISO 7816-4 has many extensions for working with DOs (including keys and passwords) and I'm working on a card OS without
any EFs.

Regards,
Achim