Migrating from OpenPGP card + gnupg 1.4 to 2.1

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Dec 21 19:08:30 CET 2011

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:35, alphazo at gmail.com said:

> When importing this key I got the pinentry-gtk popup asking for the
> passphrase for this key but this won't be of any help considering that
> no private key material is there.

Are you sure that it ask for the passphrase of the primary key?  It
should ask for the one of the subkey.  In any case, please enter the
passphrase of the subkey (which is usually the same as of the primary
key).  Note, that I have a very similar setup and it worked without
problems.  It is however possible that we have a regression here.

> I could probably setup a temporary machine to use the full keychain
> with passphrase then migrate to 2.1 and finally remove the private key
> material of the primary key (is that possible with 2.1?).

Yes, very easy:

 gpg2 --with-keygrip -K

shows you the keygrip of the keys.  Now, simply remove the file
~/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d/KEYGRIP.key

Salam-Shalom,