ECC code now in GnuPG master

Sergi Blanch i Torné sergi at calcurco.cat
Fri Feb 4 09:55:33 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Thu,  3 Feb 2011 19:27, calestyo at scientia.net said:
>> What's the suggested keysizes,... and which are supported by gpg?
>
> The default is 256, which uses the NIST P-256 curve.  Other supported
> curves are NIST P-384 and NIST P-521.  We could also add other curves as
> long as an OID is available and a user interface is written.  However, I
> believe that proliferation of curves is a bad idea.  In contrast to RSA
> key sizes, the application needs to know the curve parameters as they
> are not part of the key.

IMHO, the proliferation of curves is a feature of the ecc. The
X9.62-1998 (section 5.1) evaluates as a security risk the multiple
users sharing of the same elliptic curve domain parameters. An
probably they has not thinking that this can be three curves for all
the users.

With ecc you have the feature to change the cyclic subgroup (change
'a', 'b') without increase the size of the base field. Over prime
finite fields the unique option you have is to increase the size of
'p'.

I understand the bigger issue that this proliferation can make. But,
step by step, some day this is a feature that will be need.
Cryptography programming must be like satellite navigation
programming, the cost of a mistake is huge!

/Sergi.