gpg card on OS X Lion

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 11:29:24 CEST 2011

Dear Lists,

I am not sure how to go about de-bugging this issue.  I'm trying to
get an openpgp card to work on OS X Lion.  The first issue is a bug in
gpg related to a 64-bit and 32-bit incompatibility (the gpg developers
are aware of this).  I've therefore tried building a 32-bit only
version of gpg.

However, this still fails with the following error

gpg --card-status
gpg: detected reader `Gemplus GemPC Key 00 00'
gpg: pcsc_connect failed: unpowered card (0x80100067)
gpg: apdu_send_simple(0) failed: general error
Please insert the card and hit return or enter 'c' to cancel: c
gpg: selecting openpgp failed: general error
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error

I remember a similar problem when 10.5 came out, which at the time I
fixed by removing one of Apple's drivers (
/System/Library/Security/tokend/BELPIC.tokend )   I did file a bug
report with Apple, though I never got to the bottom of what the actual
problem was.

That file no longer exists, however.

What should I do to go about helping to track down this issue?

Best wishes,

Nicholas