gpgme-config largefile support missmatch?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 20 10:26:29 CEST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 16. Juni 2011 17:27:22 schrieb Marcus Brinkmann:
> gpgme-config and largefile support are two different sections in the
> manual, and have nothing to do with each other.

Why not add a sentence like
In addition to gpgme-config output, you might need other flags to successfully
buil and compile an application with gpgme, e.g. to get a consistent largefile
support, see next secion.

Or extend the examples have something
  gcc -c foo.c `gpgme-config --cflags` $PLATFORMCFLAGS

> The reason is that the cflags to locate the header file are only relevant
> for that one source file.  The largefile support however must be consistent
> across the whole application domain.  It's worse than you think.  For
> example, if two applications exchange file descriptors over a pipe, then
> both applications must agree on the largefile support in order to handle
> descriptors to large files correctly.  No isolated compiler flag alone can
> ensure that.  (BTW, if systems using for example dbus-daemon and descriptor
> passing over dbus channels get this right, it is probably by accident
> rather than by being conscious about the issue!  POSIX/C programming has
> many pitfalls, many of them are quite obscure.  Tread carefully.)

Thanks for the explanation, but wouldn't it be nice to then be able to
find out which options had been used to compile gpgme?
So they can be checked against whatever my application is using?

--
Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member