Q: gpgsm says "Unsupported certificate"

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Mon Oct 10 19:11:00 CEST 2011

Hi Werner:

Am 06.10.11 14:03 schrieb(en) Werner Koch:
> given that you get the "Unsupported certifciate" error on all certificates and that you don't see any more diagnostics, the problem is in dirmngr:

It turned out that the user did not have a gpg-agent running.  Once he started it, he was asked whether he wants to trust the cert, and the verification process works as expected.

Would be great if gpgme could provide a little more information about such situations (although I would fully agree if you said that there is no good reason why a session manager should *not* start the agent...).

Thanks for your help,
Albrecht.