protection against hardware attacks (RAM removal)

Jerome Baum jerome at jeromebaum.com
Thu Sep 1 17:03:57 CEST 2011

> The keys could be expanded to several kilobytes of RAM (could be easily
> configured to the desired protection level) right after they have become
> available to GnuPG. I guess even something as trivial as XOR could be used to
> securely spread the key over more memory.

The secure and well-studied version being the AONT (of key||padding,
where padding is just a lot of random data).

Though you need to carefully balance the size -- too small and it's
not a significant help (i.e. data loss isn't fast enough), too big and
it doesn't fit into the cache.

About the context switches, won't going into system mode be enough?