Keysigning party methodology: Sassaman-Efficient & centralizing printing

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Aug 21 01:52:22 CEST 2012

On 08/20/2012 01:47 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> I've seen some prior mentions of problems in crypto-cool parties, but
> I'd like to know if this means that the Sassaman-Efficient method should
> NOT be used.

I would recommend it not be used.

Frankly, the administrative overhead is too much.  There are too many
points of failure, and for not much of a speed improvement anyway.  "At
the event" step 4 is not going to be much faster than if, instead of
just letting people verify ID, you also hand a slip of paper with your
name and key fingerprint on it.

When it comes to these things, my experience is the simpler the protocol
the more likely it is that it will be executed successfully.