libassuan version number?

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Tue Dec 11 02:12:24 CET 2012

Hello,

I committed SCD changes to STABLE-BRANCH-2_0.

When I test my changes for STABLE-BRANCH-2_0 and master, I found an
issue of libassuan (development version).

On Debian testing (GNU/Linux), I'm doing:

  * GnuPG STABLE-BRANCH-2_0 with libassuan-dev of Debian 2.0.3-1

  * GnuPG master with libassuan master
    libassuan is installed with prefix /usr/local

The problem is that libassuan 2.0.3 and libassuan master are not
compatible (libassuan master has more symbols).  An executable
linked to newer libassuan doesn't work with older libassuan.

I think that newer libassuan should have different SONAME.

Don't we need to update LIBASSUAN_LT_CURRENT, LIBASSUAN_LT_AGE?

I don't have much knowledge of libtools.  All that I can say is that
if ABI is different, shared libraries should have different SONAME (so
that libraries implementations can co-exist).