A Probabilistic Trust Model for GnuPG (2006)

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 10:31:14 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 7:39 AM, remo.hertig at bluewin.ch
<remo.hertig at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>  A Probabilistic Trust Model for GnuPG was proposed 2006 in this paper: http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~jonczy/papers/JWH06.pdf
>

> However i cannot find this functionality in recent gpg (1.4.11).
>
> Why was this functionality never implemented?
>
> Remo

Dear Remo,

I can't speak for the developers, but there are some serious problems
with the model that paper proposes.  I think the problem is captured
by the discussion of figure 2 in the paper.  The author suggests that
the PGP trust model produces a "counter-intuitive" result.  I don't
see that this is really the case at all.

I can't see any compelling reason to implement that particular trust
model. Worse, to the extent that it produces different outcomes to the
standard models, I don't see that what it proposes is an improvement.
But perhaps I am missing something.

Nicholas