libassuan version number?

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Wed Dec 12 01:52:15 CET 2012

Thanks for the explanation.  I understand the policy not updating
version number during the development.

That's being said, let me talk my point about compatibility.

Replacing old libassuan to new libassuan can be done with no problem.

For my debugging purpose, I didn't want to replace, but want to keep
old libassuan as is.

On 2012-12-11 at 11:18 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> Yes, master has an API change, but that should be compatible:
>
>  ASSUAN_SYSTEM_NPTH_IMPL  NEW macro.
>  ASSUAN_SYSTEM_NPTH       NEW macro.
>  __assuan_read            NEW (private).
>  __assuan_write           NEW (private).
>  __assuan_recvmsg         NEW (private).
>  __assuan_sendmsg         NEW (private).
>  __assuan_waitpid         NEW (private).

Yes, new libassuan can be backword compatible to old libassuan.  That
is, executables which are linked to old libassuan can work well with
new libassuan.

But not vice versa.  I had new gpg-agent which is compiled with new
libassuan.  This new gpg-agent uses new functions (__assuan_write,
__assuan_read, __assuan_recvmsg, __assuan_sendmsg, and
__assuan_waitpid).  Thus, it requires new libassuan.  It doesn't work
with old libassuan.

Since I needed to test both of:

	* GnuPG 2.0.x with old libassuan
	* GnuPG master with new libassuan

I changed SONAME of new libassuan (for me), so that two different
libassuan can coexist in a single system.

Well, there is another ways, such that installing new libassuan to
private directory and using LD_LIBRARY_PATH.