SHA3 IANA registration - method?

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Thu Dec 13 19:40:57 CET 2012

Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 12/13/2012 04:26 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:09, openpgp at brainhub.org said:
>>> I wrote a draft to support SHA-3 Keccak in OpenPGP.
>>
>> Did I missed something or has SHA-3 already been finalzied?  IIRC, NIST
>> has no final specification yet.
>
> As of 2012-10-02, SHA-3 is KECCAK:
>
>   http://www.nist.gov/itl/csd/sha-100212.cfm
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-3

Indeed, however the governing standard document, FIPS 180-4, has yet to be
updated. It was last revised in March, 2012.

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips180-4/fips-180-4.pdf

Other references also still updating, an OID needs assigned, etc...

Having an algorithm alone does not a standard make. NIST doesn't appear to be
in a hurry, why should we jump the gun? Wait for FIPS 180-5.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net