SHA3 IANA registration - method?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Dec 14 12:24:30 CET 2012

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 21:46, openpgp at brainhub.org said:

> fingerprints in the same spec, this makes things easier. The issue in
> my mind is that OpenPFP fingerprint and SHA-3 may be dependent if the
> OpenPGP community is to adapt the hardwired SHA-3 fingerprints. In

Which has not even be discussed.  Back when the SHA-3 process started we
said that we will wait for the outcome of it and only then start working
on a a new key format.  Whether this will use SHA-3 or SHA-2 needs to to
discussed.  Given that there is no real world experience with SHA-3, we
can't assume anything at that point.  And if we want to do go for a new
key format I am in favor of rechartering the WG than to have the IETF
decide on individual I-Ds for such changes.

Salam-Shalom,