ECC and smartcards

Achim Pietig achim at pietig.com
Mon Jan 9 09:42:16 CET 2012

Hi,

I was on vacation, sorry for my late answer...

Yes, ECC is planned for the next OpenPGP smart card specification.
I had several discussions on this topic with Werner, but we found no time to finalise it.

Main problem at the moment is that the OpenPGP white paper for ECC is basing on NIST curves.
All available cards in Europe (my test samples etc.) support Brainpool only, because Brainpool
is the comming standard in most smart card standards like ISO and CEN.

Regards,
Achim