porting gnupg to Android, is pth required?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jan 18 16:05:29 CET 2012

On Jan 18, 2012, at 5:28 AM, Werner Koch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have not seen your previous two mails (HTML parts?), but let me give
> you a short comment anyway:

Thanks for your reply.

> Pth is for a looong time a requirement for GnuPG-2.  However, there are
> only a few users of Pth left and thus we plan to drop Pth support.
> Instead, we will use a new library (nPth) which has a very similar
> interface but internally uses the systems's standard trhead
> implementaions.  That is pthreads on most Unix systems and
> WindowsThreads on Windows.  This change will help us to solve conflicts
> with other libraries used by GnuPG and Pth.
>
> There is a npth branch for GnupG which will soon be merged into master.

Well, I got pth built so I think it'll work.  For now I'll keep it, unless you think the Android port would be better without it.

>>> Well, I've gotten pth built for Android and am now stuck on OpenLDAP.
>>> Is that absolutely required?  ;-)
>
> No, OpenLDAP is only required for the dirmngr.  However with 2.1 Dirmngr
> is resonsible for all network access (keyservers etc.), thus eventually
> you need to support it.  ./configure --disable-dirmngr allows to build
> without dirmngr.

Ah, ok, --disable-ldap wasn't working for me.  I suppose I needed also --disable-dirmngr.  We want keyserver support for sure, and openldap is built for Android now.  Does gnupg need any of the openldap client or server programs?  I only installed the libraries.

>> Ah... openldap is built and gnupg's ./configure is happy with it, but
>> now I'm getting this very odd error triggered from gl/allocsa.c with
>> both 2.1.0beta3 and the head of master:
>
> I don't know.  You may want to check whether gnulib has updates for this
> code.

Ah, ok so 'gl' stands for gnulib.  I've done quite a bit of porting, but haven't used gnulib before.  I've never seen a project that makes its own versions of system headers like alloca.h, is this behavior inherited from gnulib?

.hc