Smartcards and 1.4

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Thu Jan 19 06:59:49 CET 2012

On 2012-01-17 at 11:50 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> 1. Drop the smartcard stuff completely.
>
> 2. Feature freeze, keep the code as it is and don't update it from 2.0.
>    (I will do this for 1.4.12)
>
> 3. Keep the functionality but require the use of the gpg-agent.
>    (As of now gpg uses the gpg-agent if available but falls back to an
>    included copy of scdaemon code other wise).

I think that option 2 is preferable, since it will cause less surprise.

>From smart card users' point of view, there will be options:

  A. Switch to 2.0, entirely.

  B. Use new one of 1.4 series with gpg-agent of 2.0

  C. Keep using old 1.4.

Option 1 or 3 sounds like it encourages smartcard users to switch 2.0
series (fully or partially), but users have option C.

Just an opinion,