Smartcards and 1.4

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jan 20 12:03:47 CET 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:42, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:

> As I see it, #2 and #3 both still allow using smartcards with 1.4.x.
> #2 will keep working for a while, but eventually the built-in code
> will be old enough to cause a problem, after which the agent will be
> the only way to do it?  Do I understand you correctly?

Yes.  The problem is that writing the code in 2.x in a way that it can
also be used in 1.4 will get more and more troublesome.

One drawback with the agent is that it is currently not possible to pass
the PIN on the command line as it can be done with 1.4.  However, in 2.1
we have code the loopback pinentry feature which would then allow that.
That will also make gpg-agent mostly invisible.

Salam-Shalom,