gnupg vs libiconv on Android

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Jan 31 17:41:50 CET 2012

On 01/31/2012 10:05 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 04:47, hans at guardianproject.info said:
>
>> builds for arm..., so can't run it on most build machines).  Then I had
>> to do something similar to W32CE in common/utf8conv.c.
>
> We need a better solution than this.  But for now it should be okay.

>> I got the adns lib built for Android, but gnupg does not build when I
>> enable adns.  Is adns useful?
>
> ADNS is fast and flexible.  It used for two reasons:  On Windows it is
> easier to use ADNS than the native Windows Resolver API.  For the KDNS
> keyserver helper we need a way to specify a namesever; the ADNS API
> allows this.
>
> GnuPG on Unix works without.

I don't think we'll need iconv on Android, and we want to keep things as
small as possible, so stripping out non-essential libraries is a good
way to do that.  So I think we'll do without adns for now too.

About a better solution for utf8conv.c, can you expand on that?  Do you
just mean a cleaned up version of that technique, which is the same as
the W32CE, or another technique?

.hc