gnupg vs libiconv on Android

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Jan 31 18:14:44 CET 2012

On 01/31/2012 12:07 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On 01/31/2012 11:57 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:41, hans at guardianproject.info said:
>>
>>> About a better solution for utf8conv.c, can you expand on that?  Do you
>>> just mean a cleaned up version of that technique, which is the same as
>>> the W32CE, or another technique?
>>
>> What is the standard charset on Android devices?
>>
>> If it is utf-8 it will be easy.  We would either introduce a test for
>> iconv or provide a configure options to disable its use.
>
> At least in Java, "The platform's default charset is UTF-8"
> http://developer.android.com/reference/java/nio/charset/Charset.html
>
> If we need character conversion, we can do it in Java, since there is
> full charset handling in Java on Android.

Oops, I forgot to add, I think that a test for iconv will work well if
its done via the compiler.  Currently the Android build sets gcc's
--sysroot, and that then includes the Android cross-compiler's
usr/include, which has no iconv. Or is there an easy way to set sysroot
for ./configure?

./configure --disable-iconv is easy enough to use as well.

.hc