The OPTION pinentry-mode loopback

Simon Lukasik isimluk at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 26 14:43:55 CEST 2012

Hello list,

I am excited to see PINENTRY_MODE_LOOPBACK in gpg-agent.

To my reading, the gpg-agent in this mode will not run a pinentry. But
it will ask the client (e.g. gpg2) for PASSPHRASE. On the other hand,
gpg2 does not answer such inquiry:

  gpg: DBG: ignoring gpg-agent inquiry 'PASSPHRASE

Could you please elaborate more about the intended usage for this mode??

In this mode the gpgme_set_passphrase_cb could make sense again -- Which
would deliver great value to those who can't migrate their legacy apps
from gpg1.

Thanks,
Simon Lukasik