Using second keyring may be misleading?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Jun 22 17:23:20 CEST 2012

On Jun 22, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Georgi Guninski wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 08:24:39AM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
>>
>> It collides in all 64 bits.  It's a v3 subkey on a v4 key, so presumably uses the standard DEADBEEF trick.
>>

> is this trick documented somewhere?
>
> probably i rediscovered it.

A few people pointed it out in the mid-1990s (that long ago!) but I think it was first proposed by Paul Leyland at Oxford.

Here's an old posting about it:  http://groups.google.com/group/sci.crypt/browse_thread/thread/25248ce8d6dfc1e4/e5372a1bd972dc07

It was one of the many things that prompted the V4 key format.  It doesn't break the web of trust, but can confuse people (and implementations) as to which key is which.

David