scd-backport-2-0 branch

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jun 25 11:32:52 CEST 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 03:30, gniibe at fsij.org said:

> Currently, scdaemon keeps watching (and open and get status).  In the
> use case above, a user doesn't expect scdaemon keeps watching for
> insertion.  My concern is that this results shorter battery power life
> for laptop.

You mean, we should replace polling by a proper method to do so.  IIRC,
it was not possible to do this with libusb or pcscd back when I wrote
it.  On Linux we might find a way to sleep on reader changes; in general
I prefer portable solutions, though.

> For the use case above, a patch like following makes sense.  The
> scdaemon doesn't need to open by itself.  Once it will be open by
> another foreground thread, it will get status, and keep watching to

What foreground thread do you have in mind?  A new one sleeping on
USB events?

Salam-Shalom,