pinentry for Android questions

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Mar 10 14:56:55 CET 2012

On 03/10/2012 04:35 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On 03/09/2012 01:12 PM, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>> On 03/09/2012 06:37 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been looking through the examples, those are hard to generalize
>>> from for this use case since they are all pure C and can all be linked
>>> together into a single program.  What I would love to see is an
>>> example transcript of the assuan dialog between a pinentry program and
>>> gpg-agent, since I think I'll have to implement the whole pinentry lib
>>> in Java.  Or perhaps I could wrap the pinentry C code in JNI for Java.
>>>

>> It's a lot easier to make pinentry.c/pinentry.h in a library and wrap
>> that than to wrap libassuan or reimplement libassuan in Java.
>>
>> gpg-agent can be configured to log its assuan communication with pinentry.
>
> I forgot to mention, we're going to be using gpgme in this.  It looks
> like gpgme somehow handles the pinentry stuff with callbacks, or am I
> reading it wrong?  If we are using gpgme, do we still need a custom
> pinentry?

The callbacks are "old school" and not functional for gpg2 with
gpg-agent. :)

So a custom pinentry is indeed needed, and you don't need to set a gpgme
passphrase callback (it would never be called).

Thanks for the list of issues, btw, it's a big help as the mailing list
threads were getting a tiny bit unwieldy.

Thanks,
Marcus